June 12, 2008

Colour Perfect


I happened upon our wedding colours in a strange way. It was months after we got engaged that I even begun to think about wedding colours. I love the colour crimson and what it means in my life, but didn’t really want to use it as a wedding colour, though crimson and butternut yellow, looks fabulous together. My fiancé’s favourite colour is blue; he says it’s cool and calming. I like brown as well.

So strangely enough, one Sunday I was baby sitting a friend’s son and in the middle of us cutting up paper and watching funnies, I thought why not a little bit of him and a little bit of me, blue and brown and it was done! I was nervous about it because I saw the shade of blue in my head but was hoping I can actualise it to match perfectly. A few hours passed and when my friend came by to pick up her son, she brought me a little thank you present, a box of chocolate. This is the strange part; the box was my perfect shade of blue, chocolate brown and gold. Needless to say I was overjoyed. I now had my perfect colour swatch.


Days later I came across something on one of my style icons, Audrey Hepburn. And there she was in front of Tiffany’s & Co., wide eyed, black dress with strings of pearls. I immediately thought that’s it: Breakfast at Tiffany’s. And so my journey began, cutting out every piece of robbin’s egg blue I found in magazines, chocolate brown fabrics and I even added a touch of Champaign to spice things up.

So here’s how the colours will work on our perfect day. The maids will wear Tiffany Blue dresses with a brown sash that ties in a bow to the back. The groomsmen will wear tiffany blue vests and ties. I can’t tell you too much about my dress, but I will have a Champaign coloured sash and my groom will have a Champaign colour vest and tie. The ring pillow, (see below) will be Tiffany Blue with ivory ribbon. The flower girls will wear ivory dresses with Tiffany Blue sashes and the ring and broom bearer will wear Tiffany blue bow ties.

The décor – this is the exciting part – gold chivari chairs with ivory cushions. The tables will be adorned with ivory linens and a Tiffany blue and brown runners, gold charges, and of course flat wear. Centrepieces…….stay tuned, I haven’t decided on the centrepieces as yet, but considering big centrepieces.

No comments: