June 13, 2008

Bring on the Bling

Deciding on our wedding rings was much easier than I thought. My fiancé was pretty set on the style that he wanted while I explored my options. We decided to be a little, ok a lot untraditional and just select our rings. If you are going to make an investment like that, we figure get what you want one time.

He settled on a beautiful handcrafted ring that was personally made by a friend of his. His ring is made of yellow gold with beautifully crafted hieroglyphics spelling out our names and finished with an ankh in the centre. This is an example of such a ring that I found online:


Of course I was a little bit more difficult. I settled on an antique finished, princess cut white gold diamond set. A mouth full but it is so beautiful. And though my bands are too thin to engrave our names as I initially intended, it was a steel and screams my name. I have small fingers and it fits my tiny long fingers nice and daintily.
Check out a similar version of it:


And just like most things in wedding planning there is a lot to learn. For instance, we now know about the 5 Cs of diamond buying - carrot, cut, clarity, colour and of course, costs. We were also able to get a great insurance package on my ring, that allows me to bring the ring in every 6 months, to allow them to reset the diamonds if needed - a girl can't walk around with diamonds just falling out now.

No comments: